One-two months before....
• Use this list to help you assess what you need to do and when and write out your own plan.
• Buy a file to store all the documentation and paperwork associated with the move.
• Are you going to use a moving company? If so you need to GET ONE!
• If you need to move vehicles, pets or specialist items and you may need outside.
• If you need to use storage facilities look at your options and book it.
• Make a list of everyone you need to notify of your change of address.
• Start contacting key financial providers such as your bank or other institutions to have your details
changed and to start up the process of cancelling/setting up automatic payments and/or accounts
etc. Notify schools and employers of change of address. If moving out of the area you'll need to
register your kids for a new school.
• Start packing non-essential stuff whenever you have some free time.
• Buy, hire, beg,or borrow suitable boxes and containers to pack your stuff into.
• Talk to your doctor, dentist, veterinarian etc., to notify them of your change of address or to come
off their books if necessary. In some cases you may need to get copies of your records to take with
you. If moving abroad ask about vaccinations etc. If you or your family (or pets) have regular
medical prescriptions, get them filled to cover you throughout the moving process. If you're moving
out of the area ask for referrals to new practices.
• Contact all of your insurers (home, vehicle, medical etc) to notify them of your move. Ask your
home insurer for details of your existing coverage for the actual and arrange new coverage or a
transfer to your new home.
• Get a lockable box and start putting in important documents as you come across them.
• Give all service providers such as gardeners, domestic help and regular delivery services notice
that you will be moving. Cancel or change any subscriptions or memberships you have.
• Send out change of address notices to friends and family if you have a firm moving date now.
You'll have less time as the days pass so it's good to get this out of the way.
• Get a form from your local Post Office for their mail forwarding service, fill it in and send it off.
• Start making an inventory of your goods and take photos/videos of valuable items.
• Complete any repairs to your home that you are committed to.
Two-three weeks before......
• Contact utility companies and service providers to arrange to have your appliances/services
disconnected and, if necessary, reconnected in your new home.
• Move your packing up. Take a room at a time ,start packing up stuff you don't use regularly.
• Take back library books, pick up dry-cleaning.
• Have your car(s) serviced.
• Start living off your store cupboard and freezer and stop buying frozen or perishable food - you
can't really take it with you and it'll make the move easier.
• Put aside a box/boxes for personal/essential items that you want to take with you yourself rather
than have the movers take. Start putting stuff in it as you come across it. Mark it DO NOT MOVE so
your movers don't load it by mistake.
• Pack up your garage and any stuff that is stored in your yard, garden or sheds.
• Empty your lawnmower and power tools of fuel etc.
• Dispose of anything that is flammable or hazardous.
• Think about what you're going to do with the kids!
One week before.....
• Carry on packing!
• Start taking apart furniture that needs to be disassembled.
• Check that your new home is still set to be insured.
• Make sure all your outstanding bills are paid.
One-two days before.....
• Defrost and clean your refrigerator/freezer and secure major appliances such as washing
machines/cookers etc. Make sure that utility companies are confirmed to disconnect services/take
meter readings etc.
• Finish taking apart furniture that needs to be disassembled.
• Sort out any plants you're taking with you.
• Check that all the paperwork related to your house sale/rental/purchase is complete.
• Close bank accounts if necessary.
• Finish your major packing.
• Pack up your PC and other electrical equipment. Write down the serial numbers.
• Put together a box of essentials for the move such as tea, coffee, mugs, sugar, tools, paper.
• Make sure all boxes are clearly marked/labelled.
• Start cleaning the house as you go along.
• Make sure you have all the documents related to your move to hand.
During Your Move
Moving day at your old home.....
• Get up early and don't panic!
• Take bedding off beds and pack it up.
• Walk your movers through the house, tell them what you need them to do.
• Make sure your movers know where they are going.
• Give the house a final clean.
• Leave a note of your name, new address and contact number for the new residents of your home
so they can forward any mail that slips through the cracks.
• Have a final walk round to check you've remembered everything.
• Make sure you have keys to your new home and drop off your current keys.
• Make sure you load everything you're taking yourself in the car and lock it!
• Switch everything off, lock up and leave!
Moving day at your new home.....
• Check everything is working such as power, gas etc - if not, call the utilities companies!
• Supervise the unloading process to get everything where you want it.
• Offer the movers a drink and snack!
• Clean before you start unpacking.
• Start unpacking essentials.
After Your Move....
• Unpack logically working down from essential to non-essential items.
• Reassemble your furniture when you have time.
• Get all of your major appliances ready for use again and hook them up.
• Unpack all electrical items as quickly as possible and check for damage.
• Register to vote and for any other local government purposes.
• Check your mail is being forwarded to your new address.
• Register with a doctor, dentist, veterinarian etc.
• If necessary change your driver's license and car details etc.
|LIST OF THINGS TO DO BEFORE MOVING AND AFTER